Pages

Tuesday 15 November 2016

Quakes , Energy & Christchurch

WALT write a reflection about articles we have read in the news from the tech section.

Today after morning tea, we were assigned to choose an article off the New Zealand Herald from the Technology session. The article that I've selected is called "Quakes energy could have powered Christchurch for a year". It's about the disaster that has recently happened in Kaikoura.



The energy released in the Kaikoura earthquake was comparable to what could power Christchurch for an entire year. But..... That's only according to a Canterbury University physics PhD student who had calculated the energy release of the November quake and the combined energy. 

John Holdaway's model showed that the energy from the earthquake was nearly half of every quake since 2010 combined. He collected the data for the Geo Net database and then used a decades-old formula to relate the magnitude of earthquakes and their aftershocks from each year to a total energy release.


One thing I enjoyed about this article was that it had a lot of extended vocabulary in there which I was able to change into words I understood. One thing I think I need to work on is researching more information about the subject.

Please leave a comment on my blog.
Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment